As well as refurbished models, we also stock new laptops in both our Edinburgh stores. With so many laptop options and manufacturers to choose from it can be confusing. User2 will provide you with the information and an unbiased opinion to help you make the right choice. We can supply all the big name brands. Furthermore, new laptops we don't have in stock can normally be sourced within one or two business days. Once you have made your choice, we will provide a professional custom setup for you. This ensures it is fully updated and ready to go, with unnecessary "bloatware" removed and useful applications and settings configured. Most other retailers just hand over the box and you're on your own. The following guideline should hopefully point you in the right direction
New Laptop Guideline:
- Netbooks - Typically with low CPU and RAM specifications, small 10" - 11" screen. Can have very small storage but long battery life.
- Ultrabooks - Generally higher end CPUs and better build quality. Lightweight, sleek and without a DVDRW. Screen sizes generally from 11 - 14" with some featuring touch screens.
- Standard Laptops - The most common screen sizes are from 13.3 - 15.6" with prices from around £ 300. Don't expect good performance until you start to pay much more though. HP, Lenovo, Acer, Asus, Toshiba and Dell are the common brands.
- Gaming Laptops - With sizes from 15.6" - 17.3" full HD screen, Intel i5 and i7 CPUs and SSDs are commonly found. Another essential component is a decent dedicated graphics card for gaming performance. Also suitable for CAD and other graphics design work. Expect to pay over £ 700 for an entry level gaming laptop but prices can go well over £ 2000. Typical makes are Acer, Asus, MSI, Gigabyte and HP.
- Hybrid Laptops - Becoming increasingly popular with the functionality of a laptop and the portability and ease of use of a tablet. Repair costs for these can be uneconomic.
- Chromebooks - If you want a lightweight laptop without the Windows operating system or Microsoft applications then a Google based Chromebook may suit you.
- Business Class Laptops - Business laptops generally have a more robust chassis, hinge construction and added features. The professional version of Windows is standard which is essential if connecting to a domain server network. Additionally it has embedded Bitlocker data encryption for added security. Look for Sim card and fingerprint readers, and ports such as a mini display port.
- SSD or HDD - Choose a solid state drive (SSD) for fast boot times and blistering performance. A standard hard drive is better for large data storage and some high end laptops have both.
- What CPU - Choose Core i5, i7 or higher end AMD CPU for demanding CAD, design or gaming applications. Some lower performance processors such as Atom CPU's provide for long battery lives.
- Battery life - This can vary from less than 2 hours for a gaming laptop, up to 10 hours plus for a small Ultrabook or Chromebook with low specification CPU.
Whatever kind of laptop you decide to go for, we will be able to assist.
Fill out the form below and we will get back to you with a no obligation proposal. When you have made your decision, we would normally take a small deposit and your dream machine would be available for collection within a couple of days. You can choose whether to take advantage of our in store setup service or whether you are happy doing that yourself.
If replacing an older PC or laptop, we can transfer some applications, valuable data and emails for you for an additional cost.
Finally, for great value, we also offer a range of quality refurbished laptops which often exceed the performance of new laptops.